[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:11:04 -0500

Hiya Jeff,

Generally speaking, I'm also offended by the destruction of
meteorites...period. But not because of the commercial gain motive, per se.
Darryl is exactly right that every faction of the meteorite community has
benefited from the recovery incentive.

Mike's point that the Admire pallasite, and not Brenham, has been the object
of this initiative is also important. While he and others have apparently
made substantial improvements in the preservation of such "rust buckets" (I
don't mean this to be a derogatory term...it is what it is), it's doubtful
that the expenses associated with hunting this strewn field would have been
a reasonable investment without a plan such as the commercial crystal
faceting. To that end, one might argue that either the meteorites would
still be in the ground or crystals would be commercially available...most
likely, anyway.

I'm one of the last members of the meteorite community that likes to see
meteorites cut at all, but sometimes it does make sense -- for a lot of
reasons.

However, there are times when history has evidently been rewritten for
commercial benefit, and this seems a much bigger shame than the mining of
crystals from a highly unstable matrix. If a young girl were to find a
freshly-fallen meteorite, hypothetically speaking, it would be nice to see
her get proper credit and exposure for the same...rather than to see that
wonderful version of the story swept under the rug in the name of commercial
and/or self-promotion. There are defining moments when it comes to
expanding the awareness of the meteorite arena to the general public (and to
the next generation of potential meteoriticists), and hopefully the true
magic of those moments will shine more and more often as time unfolds. Who
knows? Maybe that shine will indeed come from Selena Gomez ;-)

All best,

Dave
www.fallingrocks.com