[meteorite-list] A Survey for Collectors

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:14:30 -0600

Discovering my sale of "The 2011 Global Meteorite Price Report" on
eBay, a journalist for a major international magazine now seeks my
opinion of how we value the specimens in our collections. I think
there are many other folks on the m-list who could help me clarify my
thoughts before I respond. Please feel free to respond as succinctly
and in as few words as possible to any or all of the questions below.
If you do not want your name, rank and serial number to appear
attached to your opinion please indicate so in your response to the
m-list (or privately to me), otherwise you may end up with your name
in an international periodical. Thanks to all for their thoughtful

1. What are the most important factors in terms of collectability for
a given specimen? Would you emphasize the rarity, the science, the
history, the freshness, the aesthetics, or...?

2. Who or what establishes market value? Are meteorite prices being
established at auction, in Tucson, on dealer websites, in Morocco, on
eBay, in private trades...?

3. What are the most undervalued meteorites or categories of
meteorite? In what categories do you see the most potential for
growth?

4. Do you believe that meteorites are undervalued or overvalued
overall, in comparison to other collectibles such as fossils or coins
or wristwatches or contemporary art?

5. What long-term meteorite market developments would you be willing
to forecast?

Kevin Kichinka
Tambor de Alajuela
www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com