[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:23:37 -0800 (PST)

Hello Paul and Listers,
?
This article you had posted is a great read. I would say the market can be tricky when it comes to selling those big pallasites found in Kansas. As for the article, the landowners chose the deal with Steve Arnold. They had the chance to keep some of the meteorite or have Steve sell?it for them. As for how much?the pallasites are worth, that depends on supply and demand and which market they are sold in. Because of the large amount that was?recovered, I could say one could slice up large pieces and sell them to museums, big time collectors, and sell smaller ones?on eBay.
?
As for the peridot goes, gem collectors buy gems and meteorite collectors buy meteorites. The only way I could see the peridots selling for any great price is by catering to the high end gem market. But again, the high end gem market wants diamonds, rubes and emeralds. Not?a gem stone from space that was found in Kansas on some meteorite hunting show, but from a meteorite collecting stand point, I feel that the pallasite slices would do well in the?market from a meteorite stand point.
?
But again the Brenham pallasite has gotten a bad name for its rusting properties, and that this meteorite is very common to collectors. I could see?if Steve or other meteorite dealers?preparing the slices in?a more?preservational way which?could add a new way market this pallasite. A good example was the Brenham that was framed between glass and?suspended in oil at the Tucson show this year. I think thats one way to market the Brenham meteorite and give?it some new hope in the?pallasite market.
?
?Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore