[meteorite-list] Pat's Stabilizing Process {was: The trials...}

From: Michael Mulgrew <mikestang_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:02:06 -0800

Don and list,

Visit you local hardware store and ask for drain opener. When they
take you to that section look them over and find one that is pure
sodium hydroxide crystals, no additives/color/detergents/scents/etc..
That is what you want to purchase. Sorry I cannot help you with any
name brands, but there are still several retailers of pure sodium
hydroxide.

As a warning, you'll want to wear gloves, eye protection, and clothes
you don't mind ruining whenever you handle sodium hydroxide. Keep it
off your skin, and always add it to the water, not the other way
around (help avoid spilling/splashing). It's also a good idea to keep
an acid around (i.e. lemon juice) to quickly neutralize any spills.

~Michael Mulgrew