[meteorite-list] Oscar E. Monnig Meteorite Gallery

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 02:53:05 -0500

Hi Pete and all,

This is an impressive gallery. The online website was done (I believe) by
Geoff Notkin for TCU.

Oscar Monnig was the Nininger of the state of Texas. He went to great
lengths to recover Texas specimens and collect them. Art Ehlmann spent years
making the collection better by trades and continuing the tradition started
by Oscar.

Art told me that Oscar would never turn down a specimen that was found by a
farmer or rancher during his era. Some he knew were from the same
strewnfield where specimens were found before but he wanted to make sure
that people would know if they found something he would buy their meteorite.

If you haven't been to visit the collection, I highly recommend you do that.
It's one of the great collections in the United States.

--AL Mitterling