[meteorite-list] Free Moon Trip

From: J Sinclair <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:13:45 -0500

Here is a link to Dr E. A. King's book "Moon Trip: A Personal Account
of the Apollo Program and its Science"

It's a free download from The Lunar and Planetary Institute's website
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/books/moonTrip/index.shtml

Dr. King was a Harvard graduate and a geologist at the University of
Houston who specialized in meteorites. He trained Apollo astronauts
and was the first curator of the Lunar Sample Laboratory while working
at NASA.

Chapter IV is a fun read on Tektites and Meteorites

Here is an excerpt:

??.While unsuccessfully searching for a meteorite fall close to
Crosby, Texas, I heard on the car radio about a very bright fireball
witnessed in southern New Mexico, Texas, and northern Mexico. I
returned to my office and asked my secretary, who was fluent in
Spanish, to place some phone calls for me. I first contacted a news-
paper editor in Chihuahua City. We had a lengthy conversation about
the phenomena accompanying the meteorite fall but no speci-mens had
fallen near Chihuahua City. Finally, I asked him the right question:
"Do you know anyone who has any pieces of the meteorite?" "Oh yes," he
said, and suggested that I call the newspaper editor in Hidalgo del
Parral, much further to the south. My secretary located Sr. Ruben
Rocha Chavez, editor of Correo del Parral. He recounted how a
brilliant fireball had broken apart with a loud explosion in the
middle of the night and had showered fragments over a large area near
Parral. Chavez had several pieces of the meteorite on his desk and
described them to me. There was no doubt- he had fragments of a
freshly fallen stony meteorite! He invited me to visit Parral to see
his pieces and to collect specimens. I thanked him for the information
and his invitation and told him I would be there as soon as possible.
A quick check of airline schedules showed it was not going to be easy
to get to Parral??

?.I was astonished when I saw the two big meteorite pieces on the
editor's desk. One weighed more than 30 pounds. The greatest surprise
was the meteorite type---a rare carbonaceous chondrite?.

There are also additional books available for free -
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/books.shtml

I haven't kept up with all the posts in a while - excuse this
duplicate if this was recently mentioned
John