[meteorite-list] Huge Fireball: Possible First Meteorite Fall of 2011

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:20:47 -0800

You know, sometimes it's just too good to be true... What are the
chances a meteorite falls on 1/11/11 just a mere couple weeks before the
Tucson show? ;)

We might have our first meteorite fall of 2011. Too many reports of
fragmentation and sonic booms for it not to be. Looks like this might be
the real deal.

Here's some quotes from the articles:

"A sonic boom was heard as far north as Western North Carolina..."

"...Copiah County Emergency Management Director Randle Drane said
residents who saw the light and heard a subsequent boom called to report
what they had seen or heard. The majority of those who heard the boom
were near the town of Hopewell just southeast of Crystal Springs...."

"...Little Rock, Ark. Around 8:30 p.m. we began receiving calls about a
bright flash of light and a boom..."

"...Around 9 PM Tuesday, the Pulaski County Sheriff's Office received
several calls of what looked like balls of fire falling from the sky...."

"...According to affiliate KFSM, the meteor was also sighted in
Greenwood, Jonesboro, Jackson, Miss., Biloxi, Miss., and the Florida
Panhandle...."

Reports still coming in...

Regards,
Eric Wichman