[meteorite-list] AD(?) - Sikhote-Alin in tree

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 04:57:38 -0800

Hi Anne, Darryl & all,
        Anne, as per our conversation, I did not state that
ALL S-A specimens lodged in trees were fakes "and warn people
Against them." Please carefully read exactly what I did write
 in my most recent METEORITE MARKET TRENDS column
In the January issue of METEORITE TIMES below:

" A FINAL NOTE: A few amazing S-A pieces have shown up embedded in trees.
However, it is a fact that some Russians have been placing specimens in the
crotches and crannies of trees and waiting a few years to return to recover
them. This is a most un- fortunate situation, as counterfeiting of any sort
throws suspicion on all examples from that point on. The irony is that there
were undoubtedly genuine tree embedded specimens from the fall which
triggered the idea in such greedy and unethical ?dealers.? So, a most
unfortunate ?Buyer Beware? must be mentioned here when it comes to tree
embedded S-A specimens."

        "Buyer Beware" does NOT mean stay away, don't buy any, they
Are all fakes, or any thing other than BEWARE. (derived from "be aware")
Be aware there COULD be something going on other than what meets the eye.
        It is a fact that 45 rings indicates 45 years (This is a basic
dating method used in Archaeology), and, yes, I visited the University of
Arizona Tree Ring Dating Lab when I was a graduate student.
        Best wishes, Michael