[meteorite-list] AD(?) - Sikhote-Alin in tree

From: Galactic Stone and Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:47:01 -0500

Hi List,

This is a fine example of the importance of provenance. Provenance is
key when it comes to collectibles such as tree-embedded meteorites,
hammer impact artifacts, and rare falls. It is virtually impossible
to distinguish if a piece of drywall actually came from a meteorite
impact event, if a tree-embedded iron is actually genuine, and if a
given common chondrite is Zulu Queen or NWA. It is of the utmost
importance that one purchase such materials from sources with spotless
record of authenticity.

On the one hand, I would not purchase such material from an unknown
eBay seller or some random John Q. Public at a big show like Tucson.
On the other hand, I would confident purchasing such materials from
the majority of members of this List in good standing and the majority
of IMCA members.

Documentation is also important to trace the chain of provenance from
the origin to the exporter, importer, wholesaler and final dealer.
Any gap in this chain will leave doubts.

I draw a distinction between contrived tree-embedded SA's and
lightning-rod assisted fulgurites. In the former case, man is the
driving factor. In the latter case, man is the catalyst but nature
does the work - not unlike a cultured pearl.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com