[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:29:20 -0700

No. In fact, there is good evidence to suggest that the great majority of
meteorites are produced by rather small meteors, which not only don't
fragment, but aren't even fireballs. The sense that meteorites are the
product of big, spectacular, fragmenting fireballs is produced because those
are the only sorts of events where we can correlate the meteor and the
meteorite. Nobody notices the unimpressive meteors, or ever connects them to
particular meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory