[meteorite-list] Is Vesta Mong Nong?

From: John Lutzon <jl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:49:54 -0400

Hello List,

I don't know what i don't know---so:
The latest photo of Vesta shows about 1/2 of this protoplanet which is about
350 miles in diameter
and the largest crater looks approximately 1/10 0f this radius which means
the crater dia. is about 17.5 miles--quite a hit for such a little guy.
 I remember seeing a photo of a much smaller asteroid with an impact crater
of
about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the whole thing and wonder why it wasn't
cracked in half or completely obliterated.

So, are impact forces mitigated when an object is not in a tightly bound
orbit confiscation and just gets "pushed" rather than crushed?

John