[meteorite-list] YD event, western meteorites

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Doug -

Staggering, isn't it?

The Native American accounts of the YD surviving 13,000 years is certainly extraordinary. Well beyond anything else we're familiar with, though some Chinese accounts may be as old.

I don't know if I've mentioned this here before, but generally children at about age 8 were selected for their memories, then trained. There were also mnemonic aides which were used, such as pictograms, talking sticks, and wampum belts.

How do I deal with it all? Very very carefully. My final check was always the archaeological record, such as it was at the time.

Many of the "tradition keepers" died during the conquest, and a lot was lost by the mechanisms you mention. Thus as a general rule I tried to find the earliest recordings of the traditions and used them.

The European recordings and transmissions themselves also introduced problems, both of translation and perspective. For example, in the current case, Mayor understood the YD accounts to be fossil legends, as fossils are her specialty, and she was intensely hunting for fossils, so I'll have to go back to the original recordings of the traditions for the second edition of "Man and Impact in the Americas". Despite her great effort, Mayor could not understand fundamental Native American concepts such as Uktena and Tlanwa, or M'si Piase.

The Native American YD accounts were often tied into their creation stories, and were usually the oldest item remembered. Probably around 95% of the populations were lost in the "nuclear winter" at the YD.

I will add that Mayor's book does have some more western meteorite lore, and that by dint of very hard work she came very close to grasping the YD.

As to whether metal detecting the high plains would work now, I don't know.
What samples anyone there might let you take a look at, I don't know. I haven't been out that way.

Myself, I might be tempted to take the meteorites at a fossil site, and then try to get a share of the fossils' values. I certainly would not do that on land which is owned, and would strike some deal with the land owners before hunting, as is usually done.

If you plan on going to a western reservation, everyone here knows how to work with land owners. You might want to consider training the young people and then taking them along with you as you hunt.

Signed copies of the first edition of my book "Man and Impact in the Americas" are still available at a lower price to meteorite list participants - contact me off list.

Good hunting,
Ed