[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Colfax Meteorite

From: John.L.Cabassi <John_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:45:37 -0700

G'Day Stuart Ed
I believe The Field Museum has a piece
http://illinoismeteorites.com/217colfax.htm

Cheers John Cabassi
IMCA 2125
-----Original Message-----
From: imca-bounces at imcamail.de [mailto:imca-bounces at imcamail.de] On
Behalf Of Ed Deckert
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:23 PM
To: Stuart McDaniel; IMCA at imcamail.de; Meteorite Central
Subject: Re: [IMCA] Colfax Meteorite

Hi Stuart,

Ah, looking for a meteorite that is local to you! This one is likely
going to be very hard to find as the TKW was only 2.3 Kg for this Iron
meteorite, and it was found in 1880. I wonder where the main mass is
housed? The Smithsonian has a 273.44 gram specimen, but I don't know if
any other larger pieces exist. Perhaps so in a NC museum.

I have been looking to buy NC meteorite specimens as well, and managed
to find a few. Not an easy task, but they can be found. You might try
contacting Russ Kempton (New England Meteoritical Services) his website
is: http://www.meteorlab.com/ I have obtained several NC micros from
Russ, and he may well be able to point you in the right direction if he
does not have anything available.

Ed Deckert
IMCA #8911