[meteorite-list] Stones with High Troilite, Low Metal

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:28:50 -0400

Jason says:

"You may well be right, but since troilite is typically present in
rather minor concentrations in most meteorites, I have the feeling
that they are not depleted in it relative to most other types...but I
could be wrong."

"So, troilite is always pyrrhotite, but pyrrhotite isn't always
troilite."

Hi Jason,

It is clearer IMO to think of troilite simply as the stoichiometric
Fe-S endpoint of pyrrhotite; Getting polyphyletic or not is best lefts
to cladists!

I'm not sure of the utility of the thought you have regarding
"depleted":

It is much better to think of this as a dynamic evolution to form the
Metal-sulfides. The RELATIVE amount of stable sulfides to sulfates and
oxides begins to tell good clues on the environment of formation; just
as a possible rich sulfurous cloud condensate is postulated on origin.
Further, the RELATIVE amount amount of troilite to pyrrhotite being
quite low and in many cases nearly trace, gives more clues since it is
a troilite is saturated state and has physical implications. The fact
that R chondrites are so rich in sulfur yet RELATIVELY poor in troilite
is the reverse of what is expected (Except for Dr. Rubin's ALH85151
which would be exciting if he has a theory to explain it, otherwise
just an outlier to keep in mind). So regardless of what is in the
online literature, if you want to begin forming hypotheses on any of
the interesting qualities and origins of R chondrites, the least
interesting thing is to compare across other classes as you suggest
without a theoretical framework of what's going on within this stinky
meteorites. (Sure, if you just have the rock under the loop it might be
of some utility to get oriented but that still isn't convincing to me).

"- The only source I found in my short quest for knowledge that
bothered to note how much "troilite" is (typically) present in
R-chondrites is the NAU website."

Bothered to note? - things like this are important to recognize as
likely an open research opportunities - not dirt behind the
refrigerator! I'm betting that the 'omission' is because that's easier
than trying to explain something we Olympians don't have a clue about
(or it is someone's R chondrite Nobel prize theory secret still under
development), at least in the literature quickly available to us. A
good place to check on the simple compositional question of being
relatively troilite poor would be the analysis of the type specimen,
Rumuruti ... where I'm sure it was noted. If not there, my next
convenient bet would be David Weir's fantastic meteoritestudies.com
site.

Kindest wishes
Doug