[meteorite-list] 2011 MD Animation

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John.

What you are seeing are not "companions" but instead are imaging artifacts called "hot pixels". They are pixels that have a non linear response and are normal. Astronomical imagers usually use a technique called "Dark Frame Subtraction" to remove these hot pixels from the image. I imagine Yure had some reason why he didn't "apply the dark".

?Another technique to reduce hot pixels is to lower the temperature of the imaging chip that as the response of these pixels becomes more linear again as the chip gets colder. Many use a combination of both cooling and dark frames. Professional observatories cool our cameras so cold that we don't have these hot pixels and don't need to this step during image processing.

Hope this helps.

?
--
Richard Kowalski