[meteorite-list] Not to worry. Nukes are good.

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 07:20:11 -0500

Hi Count and all,

Glad to see your post here. I just made the same comment to people yesterday
who were worried.

I believe that most (sensible) reactors use water to moderate the reaction.
If the reactor gets too hot (pressure and all) then the water evaporates and
the reaction stops. 3 Mile Island would have been a whole lot better if they
had done nothing. It is the extra things they shouldn't have done that
caused most
of the problems. I believe there is a lot more education now for people
involved in those.

The Russian disaster was the result of using graphite rods to moderate the
reaction. The reactor got too hot, warped the rods and they couldn't be
pulled out and the result was a melt down.

They only problem I see with nuclear energy is what to do with spent rods.
We need a good way to contain them where nut jobs can't get there hands on
them to hurt people. They leave the fuel in the rods so they are ten times
larger than they have to be to make it harder for someone to walk off with
material.

Best and my heart goes out to all the Japanese people who have lost love
ones and will have major clean up to do for weeks. I hope that things will
go smooth and without further disaster.

--AL Mitterling