[meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones?

From: Galactic Stone and Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:39:34 -0400

Hi Dennis and List,

You and I probably have very big forearms and hands - like genetic
freaks or mutated super heroes. LOL

A couple of specifics on how I do it (others' mileage may vary) -

I don't always start out at 100 grit - that is for very hard
chondrites that may have a deep saw mark to remove. 100 is very
aggressive and it removes a lot of material. It can damage friable
types and should be used on a case by case basis only. Typically, if
I did a good job of cutting and there are no deep saw marks to remove,
I start at 200 or 400. 200 for harder types and 400 for softer types
(like carbs, most HED's, LL6, etc).

I dry sand in an area with good ventilation. Water never touches the
specimens after the initial cutting. This makes for more a lot more
work, but less contamination and less oxidation.

This method leaves a lot of dry powder embedded into the surface of
the specimen that needs to be removed. I've experimented with various
ways to remove it - rinsing it with alcohol, brushing it away, using
compressed air to blow it away, and using a vacuum(!) to suck the dust
out. I find that brushing the specimen, using compressed air to blow
it off and then a gentle wipe down works well.

I don't advocate this kind of manual preparation for the masses - it's
very time intensive and I find it therapeutic and entrancing to do it.
 Like Dennis said, I'll do it while listening to music or watching TV.
 It almost becomes automatic, like riding a stationary bike. The
hours slip by without much notice. But, using this method, my
production is slow, and it can take me a week or more to process a
single stone into slices. When done correctly, the final result is
just as good as a powered lap polisher in terms of appearance.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com