[meteorite-list] "Inexpensive" Powered Laps [WAS] Info on Polishing Cut Stones?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

I've tried polishing a few stones and while it is as straight forward as described, it is also very time consuming. Also for me, two decades in another career have wrecked my wrists, so I'm looking for an inexpensive, (read CHEAP) powered lap. I don't have anywhere near a high volume so I don't have a need for a higher end lap. A lap good for occasional use is all I need.

Searching in my price range I see Inland lapidary equipment has 6" and 8" laps (new) that are in my price range. Last year before I got my saw people "poo pooed" Inland when I mentioned their saw and then sent suggestions for saw 2x to 3x more expensive. It seems that Inland kinda has that end of the market.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest any other lap manufacturers out there that I haven't uncovered. I am also very open to buying a used lap from someone if you have one that is going unused.

Thanks!

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography