[meteorite-list] whole stone concerns

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 08:54:22 -0700

Hello List.

This latest Mifflin business has me very disturbed, and brings up a question
I've been meaning to ask you all for a while now: How can I be sure that
any whole stone be properly labeled as classified?

Of course there are obvious stones like Camel Donga, (all those that stand
alone with external character)...but up until now, only my trust in
reputations has allowed me to be comfortable, along with provenance and
labels, chain of custody, etc. Yet, now I'll hesitate to acquire whole
stones (one of my favorites is to collect wholes and stand-up-by-themselves
specimens)...without knowing the back-story comes from someone with honor.

I will, however, not hesitate to buy specimens from those of you whole
continue to demonstrate honor. Reputations are as important as thorough
classifications.

This recent incident is exactly what we don't need. If there is honor
anywhere, it has been demonstrated by the refundings/returns of those
unfortunate to have been affected. Congrats to those of you who did.

Only finding the head of the snake will put this all to rest. Or, we all
carry microprobes in our backpacks.

Richard Montgomery