[meteorite-list] ANSWER - whole stone concerns

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 13:53:05 -0700

--
Easy,
        We have only been saying this on the list since
The list began: Buy from a dealer known for honesty
And integrity.
        God bless the IMCA and the hard workers of the
Board BUT I do not consider an IMCA number to be
The equivalent of "honesty and integrity." I know an
example where two new dealers applied. One was accepted
The other was told to, essentially, get some more experience
Under his belt. Well, I knew him personally as a person
Of honor. The irony was I also knew the other "dealer" and
That individual had attempted to increase price on me
AFTER I had sent money for a new fall.  Between the
Two, there was no question in my mind in whom I would
Have confidence. So, no, I do not consider an   IMCA logo
Sufficient in and of itself to "guarantee" authenticity. (I
DO consider it sufficient to pursue action if I am defrauded,
However)
        Additionally, failing to KNOW people who have long
Standing honorable dealings - such as ET, Mike Farmer,
Anne Black, Geoff Notkin, etc, etc, etc, then I would take
An unknown IMCA member over an entirely unknown
entity. In fact, I would not deal with an entirely unknown
Entity again - unless I KNEW what I was getting was
What I was paying for through other sources than the
Seller. (IE I could see by looking at it, it has distinctive
Features unique to that fall, the seller bought his stash
>From someone I know, etc).
        So, the answer to your question is simple: Buy only
>From dealers you know AND TRUST or, at the very least
from IMCA members.
        Warm regards, Michael

--
"Teachin' a pig to dance is a waste of time and it irritates the pig"
Mark Twain