[meteorite-list] Widmanstatten Pattern on the outside??

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 08:59:03 -0400

Hi Jay,

Yes, I have seen external widmanstatten patterns on many irons -
usually weathered ones.

Sometimes it is more obvious than others. It depends on the iron type
and the condition of the specimen.

See this Canyon Diablo. It was very oxidized, but was then treated
with the Pat Mulvany process. The outer rind of oxidation was removed
and now the internal widmanstatten pattern is visible on portions of
the outer surface.

http://www.galactic-stone.com/product/canyon-diablo-big-iron-meteorite-stable-nickel-silver-patina-144g

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com