[meteorite-list] correction to non-magnetic meteorite question

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who responded to my non-magnetic meteorite question.

With a total weight of 27.37 grams the specimen in question has a direct
measured specific gravity of 2.59.

This would seem to rule-out both basalt (s.g. 2.7-3.1) and Tatahouine, a
Diogenite with a specific gravity range of at about 3.30 to 3.47.

In rechecking the magnetic value, for the first time with a super magnet
hanging from a string and carefully bringing the specimen to the magnet,
I can see there is a ever-so-slight magnetic attraction which I had not
previously noticed and detected.

This is an important lesson for me: ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK MAGNETIC VALUES
WITH A SUPER MAGNET HANGING FROM A THREAD!

Also rechecked my Tatahouine specimen and, LO and Behold, this, too, has
an ever-so-slight magnetic attraction. You might want to take note of
this info, Pete at pshuger at messengersfromthecosmos.com.

The s.g and slight magnetic attraction of this specimen suggests that
this may be a type CM Carbonaceous Chondrite, according to the printed
values published in the 2002 paper by Britt and Consolmagno, I suppose.

I'm thinking of cutting this specimen. Anyone on the list able to
suggest the preferred lubricant to minimize potential contamination
issues?

Again, thanks to everyone who took time to offer their insights on my
little mystery stone.

I wouldn't have had a clue, otherwise!

Best wishes to all,

David Gunning