[meteorite-list] correction to non-magnetic meteorite question

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:58:27 -0400

Hi David,

When cutting meteorites (or suspected meteorites), use distilled water
only has a saw coolant/lubricant. Using anything else invites
contamination and instability in the specimen.

I own a large N52 rare earth magnet. It's quite powerful, and small
metal objects will fly across the table and stick it from several
inches away. This type of magnet will detect the smallest metal
content in a specimen that small magnets will miss. However, be
careful, the larger magnets can be dangerous if you hand or fingers
get caught between the magnet and a metal object. Not to mention,
keep it away from your laptop and grandpa's pacemaker.

The largest rare earth magnets are so powerful, they will attract
iron-enriched food items, like dog kibbles!

Do you have any photos of your specimen, or did you post them already
and I missed it?

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Stone-Ironworks/218849894809686