[meteorite-list] Extreme Canada Mail Slow Down

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:28:11 -0500

Hi List,

Has anyone else noticed that mail to and from Canada has been
excruciatingly slow since the Canadian postal strike a few months
back?

Prior to the strike, a package mailed via First Class International
took an average of 10-12 business days to arrive. After the strike,
this has become 21-30 days. The same can be said for packages coming
from Canada into the US. The last two packages I had coming from
Canada have been agonizingly slow. The first took a full month to get
here and I am still waiting on a package that was mailed over 3 weeks
ago. This is killing me, because there is something in that package I
really need, and I am tired of checking my PO box to see aggravating
emptiness staring back at me when I open it.

After this latest package arrives (if it arrives at all), I am firing
off a letter to Canada Post and USPS and telling them to get their act
together. There is no excuse for this, especially from USPS where
they get 100 days off a year for Arbor Day, St. Swivens Day, and every
odd-numbered day that starts with a "T". (Can you tell I am PISSED?)
LOL

I understand that the strike may have backlogged our northern
neighbors, but it has been months since the strike and this is getting
downright silly and inexcusable. Is this the new norm now? Are we
ever going to see reasonable delivery times again? Is this some new
secret policy to force frustrated people into paying more for Priority
or Express service? Are Canadian workers being spiteful because all
of their terms were not met during the strike? What the heck is going
on? Or do I just have rotten luck?

Also, it seems that USPS is to blame as well, because packages I am
mailing north are taking longer as well. I've had a couple seem to go
AWOL and then suddenly show up right before I was about to refund the
customer's money or ship a replacement.

If this keeps up, I am going to start sending all packages to Canada
via Registered Mail and passing along the increased cost to the
customer. That way, at least I can get decent tracking of where the
package is at.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com