[meteorite-list] POP QUIZ FRIDAY ANSWER

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:57:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers

I would like to thank everyone that sent in their answers for the BLACK FRIDAY POP QUIZ.

The question was....

?Please tell me how many whole individual meteorites
were found at the Gebel Kamil crater and the surrounding area?

Answer

There was one whole individual piece that was found at the Gebel Kamil crater site. It was reported to be the main mass weighing in at 83kg. This could be an indication that the meteor stayed intact while entering into the atmosphere and had minor?separation till it met its match when it came into contact with the surface of the Earth, making a 45m diameter crater. Scientist at the site recovered over 4000 specimens?great than or equal to 10g, totaling over 1700kg. Out of the thousands of?specimens collected by the scientists, they?were able to take half of what was collected at the end of the 2010 field servery expedition back to Cairo. The other half was left behind due to cargo space. So all in all, science got a great amount of the meteorite to study. But I would also have to say the science also is within the cater because it is still very close to its pristine state the day the event happened.

I would like to say that there were only nine?Listers the sent in the correct answer so I will be rewarding the first Lister that sent in the correct answer and that is Galactic Stone & Ironworks. Thank you again for everyone that sent in an answer and keep an eye for another installment of POP QUIZ?FRIDAYS.

Thank you
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBay story
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ph0t0phl0w/m.html

[meteorite-list] BLACK FRIDAY POP QUIZ SUPER SIZED
Shawn Alan photophlow
at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 18:10:55 EST 2011