[meteorite-list] Meteorite?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:10:46 -0500 (EST)

Looks like this has been commented on a bit and confirmed as a -
meteorwrong - and apparently streaked reddish since it is commented
that a streak test indicated it was probably hematite. (The color
isn't mentioned, only that the streak proved it was hematite was
mentioned.)

just one comment, it would be nice to have these threads in the forum
since having to sign up on another site if the thread is started there
twists up the thread ...

here are the interior pictures:

http://www.meteoritejunction.com/download/file.php?id=1121

http://www.meteoritejunction.com/download/file.php?id=1122

Also, this stone is stranger in my opinion than that.

The OP mentions it has a density of around 3.1 g/cc and says that
hematite has a density of about 2.7 g/cc, and accounts for the higher
density being caused by metal flakes distributed throughout the matrix.
  Hematite is muich heavier than 2.7 g/cc, after all in broad terms, 40%
of its chemical formula is iron so one, ignoring the packing, could
guestimate the minimum density of hematite at 0.4*(8 g/cc) = 3.2 g/cc,
but given that the oxide has some weight, hematite ought to have a
density of between 4-6 g/cc (and they are around 5.2 g/cc for both
magnetite and hematite, depending on how it 'settles' together).
Probably the 2.7 g/cc referred to was for quartz terrestrial rocks, not
oxides of iron.

In any case, I wonder if anyone else has experience with metal flakes
in hematite. Hematite one of the most highly oxidized forms of iron
right up there, more than goethite, and what can result when magnetite
oxidizes further. I makes me wonder how you could have metal flakes
survive in a hematite matrix (I don't think this can happen but really
would like to know if anyone has seen this, for all I know there is a
common process that can produce this, though I can't imagine what it
would be unless someone mixed up a batch specially to do it).

ref:
http://www.meteoritejunction.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=2860#p2860

Kindest wishes
Doug