[meteorite-list] Gold and Iridium content of meteorites(especiallyirons)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:59:59 -0400

Hi Doug and List,

It sounded awfully high to me also, but what do I know? LOL

Quoted below is the text from the write-up. Notice, the gold content
is the only element listed in milligrams.

Here is the text from the Met Bull write-up :

Northwest Africa 6932 (NWA 6932)
(Northwest Africa)
Found: 2008
Classification: Iron meteorite (ungrouped)
History: Reportedly found in the Algerian Desert

Petrography: Plessitic octahedrite with isolated (<5% of area) sparks
and spindles of kamacite; longest bands are ~8 mm long and 0.2 mm
wide. The material may be reheated; the fine plessite has a granular
appearance and there are small dark ellipses that may reflect
resorption of phosphide. No heat altered rim was recognized. Stucture
Opl.

Geochemistry: Composition: 4.51 mg/g Co, 69.8 mg/g Ni, 82.4 ?g/g Ga,
380 ?g/g Ge, 12.0 ?g/g As, 4.12 ?g/g Ir, and 1.49 mg/g Au. The
meteorite has no close compositional relatives. For example, in the Co
range from 6.2 to 7.5 mg/g, no ungrouped iron has a Au content within
20% and only Guin and Laurens County have Ir contents within 20% of
that in this iron, but these irons differ in several other
compositional respects.

Specimens: Several additional masses are known.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - I am having internet connectivity issues and my connection is
running about as well as a 500-pound man right now. So I think I will
sign off until tomorrow morning and hopefully it improves then. LOL

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com