[meteorite-list] Part II: American David Rittenhouse (Warning - Pre-Chladni)

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:06:19 -0700

Thanks for the fascinating discussion, gentlemen! A great account of the rigorous, often slow process that revolutionary new scientific theories must go through before gaining widespread acceptance.

I have a related question. Who was the first person to accurately calculate the trajectories of meteors, and successfully recover meteorites based on those calculations? I'm not talking about someone who witnessed a meteor, and was lucky enough to have stones landing nearby. In other words, who was the first systematic meteorite hunter? Was it Nininger?

- (the other) Doug
doug at dougross.net