[meteorite-list] Triangulation

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:57:30 -0700

Not until the 1970's? Really? I understand that we now have great modern advantages for accurate triangulation, with sky-cams, radar data, and the like. And granted, even with all of this technology, strewn fields are often difficult to pinpoint today. But it's hard to believe that it took over 150 years after general scientific acceptance of the fireball/meteorite connection for somebody to start accurately tracking these suckers.

Perhaps I could refine the question to help narrow the possible contenders. Who was the first person to recover meteorites from a witnessed fall based on triangulation calcualtions *without the benefit of anecdotal information or finds by local residents (apart from fireball reports)*?

-Tocayo
doug at dougross.net