[meteorite-list] Triangulation (was ...Part II: American David Rittenhouse (Warning - Pre-Chladni))

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:40:53 -0700

Yes, it would have to be a first recovery to eliminate any dispute, I think. I am thinking of a situation where the fireball was witnessed and well documented, but no locals saw, heard, nor found any stones. I suppose if the triangulation hunter came along and defined the search area fairly narrowly to begin with, then recruiting locals to help search that area wouldn't necessarily disqualify a find. Basically, I'm wondering what's the first find that would probably not have occurred without accurate triangulation calculations?

-DR

On Oct 23, 2011, at 5:14 PM, MexicoDoug wrote:

> Hi Tocayo (that's what you'd call me, you probably would sign Doug, but still it isnt wrong use, just not as common use)
>
> Martin now says no to Lost City ... and There is more than this to it. How do you count a situation where a fireball is triangulated the hunter arrives at the strewn field and offers an incentive to them. The question needs to be further limited to the first recovery, I think? But what of the case where a local finds one and the triangulation hunter comes and without input finds a fragment at a later date.
>
> I am thinking that the US would be the most likely place and a tiny possibility of it being one of the few witnessed falls from about 1850 to date when triangulation became refined.
>
> But we get back to the same thing. Nininger set this sort of program up, but did he ever succeed in finding the first based on anecdotes and tips where no one had seen a stone but the phenomenon was observed and related to the hunter wh crunched that.
>
> I can't think of one offhand that Nininger found cold based on triangulation. There are Nininger gurus on the list that could say! Not me on this one...
>
> Kindest wsihes
> Doug

Doug Ross
doug at dougross.net