[meteorite-list] Hard to Polish Meteorites - Any Ideas? (diamond grit sandpaper?)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike,

Trade secrets to sanding? Maybe you mean just the experience of
knowing each meteorites favorite way to be sanded.

It's kind of silly not to use deionized water to wet sand the specimens
that you've determined look better that way unless we're talking about
a stone that's never slept outside over night, if you can dry them
after quickly enough.

I appreciate your perfectionism of not wanting to allow water to touch
your meteorites, but stony meteorites are like sponges anyway and soak
up water. Dew tends to form on them inside your house if you're not
careful or outside and they are porous, and once out of the oven will
always be picking up water - they absolutely don't stay dry.

All of the desert specimens which have been in the desert got tens,
hundreds and thoudands of years have the unstoppable phenomenon of
terrestrialization; that is dew cycles more than half of the nights,
each night, every day of every year.

The desert is especially prone to dew on meteorites, even though it is
so arid it is another of those conundrums - why so much dew in the
desert? Simple ... the meteorite is cold as stone in the morning and
that is the time everything is the desert has most likely settled down
in terms of winds which are what would normally wisk away the humid air
before it cooled enough to deposit its dew.

The core of the meteorite continues cooling the immediate air around
the meteorite (this is infrared heating/cooling) faster than the
radiative heating of the Sun can warm, so the go dew-dew on the
meteorites all the time. This is accentuated by passing through the
dew point of the air almost always in the desert due to the extreme
day/night temperature variation, remembering even the dryest desert in
the world has a lot of water still in it. The result is drplets of
water all over the meteorite which collect and rust below it sometime
for a long time.

People in some places supposedly in the Atacama in prehistoric times
used to pile up rock just to collect the water in them. Stone castle
walls can have the same effect. In China, desert farming is
accomplished by scattering gravel on the ground to take advantage of
this and no additional irrigation is necessary in some cases.

If you really are making a business of this and find yourself
evaluating a capital purchase of costly equipment or holding off for
the time being - and as posted want "diamond" sandpaper without having
to buy a motor and disk or ready to use laping machine, and to do it by
hand, there is no reason that you can't put nearly an equal finish on
it over glass while purchasing the same polishing grit for the final
step and impregnating it on some sort of shammy that you can be sure is
clean of prior hard particles, exactly as you have been doing, wet or
dry whichever works best for the piece. Of course 3360 rpm of a 6"
diameter wheel at the edge will be traveling exactly a mile a minute
worth of arm strokes.

Kindest wishes
Dioug