[meteorite-list] Hard to Polish Meteorites - Any Ideas? (diamond grit sandpaper?)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:02:35 -0400

Hi Doug and List,

You raise some excellent points. I just need a little more
experience, as I have only been doing this for about 4 years. A
diamond wheel lap polisher would help also - that is next on my
acquisition list when I get the spare cash - maybe a Christmas or
birthday present to myself. It would save my right arm a lot of wear
and tear.

Right now I am preparing some IMB stones and they are taking a wicked
polish with that wet look to it. With those, I just went 100 (to
remove saw marks), then 220, 320, 400, and 600. Then neutral-color
jeweler's rouge and a buffing on a soft cotton t-shirt. Works like a
charm and no diamond wheel lap needed.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com