[meteorite-list] FW: High Noon!

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:48:10 -0400

Hi Gang,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think one simple fact is being
overlooked by almost everyone involved here, and this simple criteria
is the ultimate litmus test that definitively confirm or deny a
terrestrial origin for a given sample...

Drumroll please....

Cosmic ray exposure data. Elemental analysis is fine and dandy, and
it can answer many questions, but it cannot definitively confirm or
deny the terrestrial (or meteoritic) origin for a sample. It simply
states what elements are present in the sample and in what
concentrations (within a margin of error) these elements are present.
As we all know, some lunar and martian meteorites are very similar in
elemental composition to their terrestrial analogs. But, terrestrial
rocks have never been exposed to cosmic rays. By contrast, all
meteorites have been exposed to cosmic rays during their journey from
the parent body to Earth. This exposure leaves tell-tale markers in
the material.

Of course, I am over-simplifying to some degree, and the cosmic ray
exposure clock can be reset by certain events, but those events also
leave their own signatures.

Simple XRF analysis, and/or visual comparisons will not cut it to make
a truly definitive and authoritative judgement on the origins of a
rock.

Run cosmic ray exposure studies on the material in question - if it
was exposed to cosmic rays, then that material has spent time outside
of Earth's protective shield. Once that has been established, then
the samples can be subjected to SEM (scanning electron microprobe) to
determine the composition of the material to a more accurate and
specific degree than the XRF will reveal.

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/42h79my