[meteorite-list] Something is rotten on the web, on eBay, and with a certain seller.... & they try to sell fake lunars in the past

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:37:39 -0500

Hi Bob and List,

I think your point is true for all dealers. If asked, a dealer should
provide provenance information, regardless of whether they are an IMCA
member or not.

I can only speak for myself here - I give out provenance information
if asked. However, I do not plaster it all over my website as a
matter of policy. Why? Not for the most-commonly cited reason. Some
dealers will say, I don't trumpet my sources because I am afraid
potential buyers will cut me out of the loop and buy directly from my
source. In my case, I am not worried about that. Many of my buyers
come to me because they can spend $5 and get a rare micro. Chances
are, if they could afford a larger specimen from somewhere else, they
wouldn't be shopping on my website.

I guard my sources because of meteorite politics - plain and simple.
Some of my sources don't like each other. Some of my sources have
sources who don't like me. To prevent friction between sources, I
tend to keep quiet about where I get certain material. This makes
everything work more smoothly. It's a shame, but that is one of the
dirty sides of meteorite dealing - politics. There is a lot of drama,
back-stabbing, and character assassination that goes on within the
meteorite dealer world. And I don't want one of my sources getting
into trouble/drama because somebody else who doesn't like me finds out
about where I get a given meteorite. A buyer or potential buyer has a
right to provenance information - John Q. Public who has no intention
of buying does not.

Shawn Alan provided extensive provenance information on his sources
via this List in the past. I am satisfied with what he provided.
That said, I would not have done what he did. I would have said "Are
you buying something? No? Then none of your beeswax where I get my
material from." If that scares off a few potential buyers, so be it.
That's how I roll.

Best regards,

MikeG
--