[meteorite-list] ALERT: Large number of meteorites stolen

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:10:51 -0500

That is a damn shame. We will certainly keep our eyes open for these
specimens and will report the thieves if they try to contact us.

This is what happens when the world is told that meteorites are worth
big money. I have definitely noticed a distinct uptick in meteorite
thefts in the last year or two. Hopefully this does not become a new
trend - if it isn't already.

Maybe we should experiment with a "Lojack" for meteorites - drill a
discrete hole into a large meteorite mass, insert a GPS tracking
device, seal the hole, and put the specimen out on display. Those
tracking devices are getting smaller and smaller as times goes on.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com