[meteorite-list] Report from the Strewnfield in Edgewood Texas

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:26:13 -0700

I seem to be the first boots on the ground at the strewnfield. No stones
have been found, but the locals heard the sonic boom. Sonic blast focus
is here, Doppler best guess is here.

I'm sharing information because I've given it great thought, and am
convinced that my best interest are served if competing teams share find
information. I plan to write a paper covering this aspect in game theory
as it is a interesting n-person, non zero sum game where cooperation (on
meteorite locations) serves everyone's interest.

Best guess on Strewnfield : East of Edgewood before you get to HWY 19.
More info - ask me when you get here.

Terrain: Mostly Ranch land, local grass is just greening up. Most ground
is excellent rated at 70-100% visibility on my Taylor score. Rain was
light in this area yesterday.

Locals: Friendly but generally poor, some are extremely resistant to
visitors. Give those wide berth as this is Meth Lab country and it is a
real big problem here.

Housing: Best base is south in Canton. I'd recommend the Best Western as
they have nice rooms for $80 with a fridge and breakfast. I'll be here,
come join the fray. A motel 6 and a Days Inn are also here. I think the
Motel 6 will be noisy as it is RIGHT next to the highway.

Food: Several options, Lumber Yard cafe in Edgewood, several others and
more 10 miles away in Canton.

Dangers: See comment on Meth Labs above. Add to it feral hogs, the local
population exploded out here and they are aggressive. We've been told we
should pack a pistol twice today. There has also been attacks by a
black panther here that has the locals skittish. I've heard reports from
hairy toothless rednecks and from a sweet little old lady. The panther
has killed several sheep and goats, and rumors persist it may be
responsible for missing persons reports. And of course, there is always
the Z problem.

Fun: We've found a trapper who trapped a couple of feral hogs, my team
wants to buy one for a pig roast party this weekend. If you are out
here, do you want to come?

ps.
If you are new to Meteorite Hunting, or have no idea of the Z problem,
watch the video below. :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQyLEbCdn8w

-mt