[meteorite-list] Meteorite Classification Question - Instruments

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:54:27 -0500

I may have missed part of the discussion, but isn't XPS the acronym for
X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy? I haven't followed the development of the
instrument for many years, but it used to be used for surface spectroscopy.
It would only sample the first atomic layer or so of the substrate that was
being analyzed, and its major advantage was that it would not only tell you
what some of the elements were on the surface, it would provide the valence
or oxidation state of the element. This information would tell you
something about how the element was combined with other elements on the
surface. Perhaps the valence information might be helpful in identifying
mineral species. I believe that SEM and TEM will not provide valence
information. And yes, I believe the XPS has been provided with mapping
capability since I used to follow the subject.

If anybody can fill me in on whether this is the XPS that is being talked
about, and if there have been any meteorite studies using XPS, it would be
much appreciated.

Mark Grossman
Meteorite Manuscripts