[meteorite-list] Tata-Foumzgit Martian Fall. (Why no lunar falls? and freshest lunar?)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:10:57 -0500

Hi Doug, Martin, and List,

I know nothing of the mathematics and modeling of meteoroid impact
rates, but it strikes me as anomalous (statistically) that we don't
have any lunar falls yet. It seems likely that there have been lunar
falls, but they were never recovered or recognized.

I agree with Martin when he says we should savor the energy that this
new fall brings, because it shouldn't happen again (statistically) for
another ~50 years. It felt very special to hold a sample from this
fall only months after it fell to Earth. To hold the freshest Martian
is far more exciting than to hold the freshest ordinary chondrite.
And I would think many collectors would agree, that to experience that
same thrill with a fresh lunar would be a great sequel to this Martian
event. :)

On a related note, a question - what is the freshest lunar on record?
In terms of terrestrial age, what lunaite has the most recent fall?

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com