[meteorite-list] Fw: Etching solution

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 01:46:53 -0500

If I can add my experience to benefit others; many years ago, I used the instructions from the back of Norton's Rocks From Space book to do the nickel test on what later turned out to be a meteorwrong.

Full face shield, haz/mat gloves protecting up to my elbows, plastic body bib, a dual charcoal filter vapour respirator, and an 8 kg bucket of sodium bicarbonate standing by. And also wore a toque (Canadian, eh!)

I also made sure I had nothing behind me to trip me in case I had to make a hasty retreat.

Being a cautious noob, I did the whole procedure outside in an 8'x10' shed, open windows on three sides, a double door wide open, and a big fan set up at a window to exhaust the interior of the shed to the outside.

Not seeing results of the cherry red colour right away and since it was late, I turned the fan off and left the samples sitting in the solutions overnight .

Next morning with disappointment I saw the negative results and disposed of everything safely.

The next day after that I saw that everything metal in that shed started showing signs of corrosion, which continued until every metal surface within that shed was covered in rust!

I'm assuming that the corrosive fumes had filled the shed during the calm night regardless of the open windows and door, and had fun.

Think what that could do to your lungs!

Now I make sure that when doing anything with any type of acid, air is being mechanically vented and I don't leave anything unattended.

One further note of experience, when looking at meteorites under a stereoscope microscope, especially slices - even unpolished ones, if you wet them with isopropyl alcohol it will reveal maybe ten-fold the details.

I was using an old eye-glass cleaner atomizing sprayer filled with the alcohol and give the specimen a squirt when it started to dry while I was examining it.

I started waking up with severe headaches and it eventually dawned on me that I was poisoning myself by not venting the fumes away from me.

Now I do my ooo-ing and aaaaah-ing under a big ceiling fan, and have had no problems since.

Cheers,

Pete