[meteorite-list] Etching solution

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 03:11:05 -0500 (EST)

"explosive"

Definitely caution when playing around with corrosives is of the first
order...that said,

sure, ethanol is a racing car engine fuel and under the right
conditions can combust; But people drink it even straight...

Many things we do have risks associated with them some very serious and
definitely we must respect all reagents especially corrosives like
nitric acid. For example, many people enjoy fireworks. Yet, fireworks
are explosive and dangerous if you put them near sparks or heat,or try
to light them with a charcoal grill. And obviously gasoline combusts
too yet mechanics and Dads everywhere use it to clean hands and metal
parts and also have arc welders nearby. Or sulfuric acid inside a car
battery - don't get it on your bikini when working on the car! If you
are going to use anything, it needs to be done with respect and a quick
read of the MSDS of whatever chemicals you are using... (and don't
trust everything you read on a discussion l;ist posted at 3 AM)

It is not a good idea to have concentrated nitric acid and ignore the
label, for example and my heart goes out to Anita on that. Depends the
kind of person you are. When I make my smoothie in the morning I use
fresh cherries as one of 18-20 ingredients and a preparation that takes
an hour. It's life threatening if I accidentally put a pit in my
blender (which can easily liquify meteorites, it's so powerful) due to
the specialized needs of a family member who cannot eat. So I double
count the cherries first, count the pits as I punch them out, and then
count them once again when I dispose of them. No shortcuts, All common
sense!

Bart Simpson's pet python once made nital in an episode of The
Simpsons, which is amusing if you haven't had a bad experience you
can't laugh about.... I think the writers were Caltech rejects that had
to go to MIT and have to do this to humor themselves, this wasn't the
only snarky chemistry episode.

(episode: Stop or my Dog will Shoot!)

Here's the link:

http://video.i.ua/user/810302/8185/35583/

it take a little time to stream, but once ready the scene is at the
17:49 minute:seconds mark.

... and that' why in my summary which I did much too quickly to be
complete, I suggest that you use water, that is to say, NitH20,. or as
it's commonly known just dilute Nitric Acid, rather tha alcohols to
develop your method. Nothing wrong with water, it is really getting a
bum wrap and it is GRAS ;-) It is what everyone that is using FeCl3 is
using as a diluent, too. For the HNO3 the 3.0 N concentration works
best for me. Absolutely no need to buy concentrated acid and you can
avoid all the issues of what to add to what and no need for Hazmet
backup. You can buy it already diluted, get the same benefit of a
nitric acid etch (alcohol doesn't etch, it's only a carrier and
diluent). Just crank up the oven to the higher end of a safe drying
temperature. That's the only real benefit of alcohol in my opinion -
it allows a cooler drying which can povide a nicer (lower oxdation
residue on the virgin etched surface, but now we are staerting rally to
split hairs...IMO.

Speaking of diluents, there's no reason nital (alcohol) is special as a
diluent. Besides water, I'm suspecting Nitric + acetone (Nitkeytone ?)
and any number of other solvents would work fine if not be hiding a
secret for even a better etching solution. Sure acetone is flammable
and can give you the willies too, you can't win but that doesn't stop
women who understand the chemical they use from putting it on their
fingernails ;-) granted not with acid, though I bet some do
inadvertantly mix it with salycilic acid solution when disolving excess
skin ;-), which if not used properly could chemically remove a lot of
flesh ...
Kindest wishes
Doug