[meteorite-list] Questionable eBay seller selling Sutter's Mill meteorite

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:18:40 -0400

Hi List,

I don't know who the seller is, or if the person is a member of this
list. Having said that, I recall that recently Gary Fujihara also
posted to the list regarding this same seller and something about NWA
numbers that did not match up (or something to that effect).

I agree, judging from appearances, this does not resemble any Sutter's
Mill I have handled personally or seen photos of. Sutter's Mill has
the expected and unmistakeable look of a charcoal-black carbonaceous
chondrite. There are lighter colored inclusions and orange
inclusions, but the ones I have seen are smaller in scale than this
specimen - this does not appear to be a micro fragment consisting only
of a lighter-colored inclusion removed from the darker matrix. This
specimen would raise red flags with me as well. Maybe the seller
could chime in and explain if he/she is reading this.

This is a good example of KNOW YOUR SELLER. This may not be of the
utmost importance when dealing with some common and distinctive
specimens (like Campo del Cielo, Sikhote Alin, NWA 869) that are
easily recognized for what they are. But when dealing with rare
falls, rare types, or valuable specimens, one should ask questions
about provenance and know their seller.

Best regards,

MikeG
--