[meteorite-list] Fake moon and mars meteorite NWA's

From: info at moonmarsrocks.com <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:15:22 -0700

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your note.

One of the problems with the steelhorse1994 fakes is the guy was for the
most part targeting lower end gift shoppers by pricing auctions at a
penny to start and ending up selling 25mg rocks in a nice display for an
average of $17. When I did the statistics on his average sale price, I
knew something was wrong. He couldn't have sold a 1000 displays and
stayed in business with that kind of pricing. On a good day, the cost of
just the meteorite sample that size exceeds $17. Then add in ebay fees,
paypal fees, material costs, shipping costs, etc. It didn't add up,
unless of course he was grabbing granite rocks from his backyard!

The other side of this ripoff coin is this: I had a customer tell me
recently that she and her son were at Knots Berry Farm last week where
they saw "genuine" moon & mars rock displays similar to the ones I sell,
and they wanted $400 for the pair! She and her 8 year old were thrilled
to find mine on ebay and a $350 difference.

Your point on being careful about what and from whom you buy is well
taken, especially at the collector level where bigger pieces and bigger
prices are involved. But, the average Jane and Joe gift shoppers were
perfect foils for this fraud, which is why we all have to be diligent
about policing what we see around us on in our marketplace.

Best regards,

Daniel

Daniel Noyes
info at moonmarsrocks.com