[meteorite-list] What killed off the Mammoth?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 07:38:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul -

The answer is the same thing that killed off many megafuana intercontinentally, instantaneously, and simlutaneously: global climate collapse, i.l., "nucelar winter".

Now they are two causes of global dust loading, one of which is volcanic eruption, the other impact. Since we have no evidence of volcanic eruption, we are left with impact.

PS- Sterling, Wrangle Island mammoth were already the size of large dogs, so small as to constitute a different species, using the old definition based on ability to interbreed.

EP