[meteorite-list] What killed off the Mammoth?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:23:18 -0500

EP, List,

<Quote>
It was assumed that Wrangell Island mammoths ranged
from 180-230 cm in shoulder height and were for a time
considered "dwarf mammoths". However this classification
has been re-evaluated and since the Second International
Mammoth Conference in 1999, these mammoths are no
longer considered to be true "dwarf mammoths"
<Unquote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_elephant

Eight fee high at the shoulder is a little high for a "dwarf"
or for a large dog. I don't want to meet a Weimaraner
that's eight feet high, ya know?

So, instead of being the World's Tallest Midget, they've
decided it's the World's Smallest Giant. The California
Channel Island mammoths were 4-5 feet at the shoulder
and the Mediterranean Dwarf mammoths even smaller.

Sterling K. Webb