[meteorite-list] Is there an official site for logging finds from Lotus?

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 21:24:13 +0000

Hello Brien and list,

Yes, Dr. Peter Jenniskens from SETI Institute, a meteor astronomer who found one of the earliest recovered specimens in the parking lot at Lotus Park last week returned this past weekend to organize a large group of searcher/volunteers to help him hunt private land to find specimens for NASA and the Smithsonian. Peter is mapping the strewn field and he is documenting and assigning a number to each specimen reported to him. He said Sunday evening after people returned from the field that he will be assigning numbers to each piece found so that people who do research or hold these specimens in their collections will be able to reference research done specifically on their specimen. He also said that he would be creating a web site where everyone will be able to go to see all of the locations where theirs and other specimens were found. Many know Peter from the work he did on the Almahata Sitta Fall. He is a great guy and a meticulous researcher. SETI is located relatively nearby in Mountain View so Peter will
be working hard to map this strewn field. In conversation Sunday he said that he would have a site up as soon as possible.

Congratulations on finding your specimen Brien, it's a beauty. Patrick and I have not found one yet but we are seeing lots of amazing wildlife and meeting lots of great people in the area. I am looking forward to swimming in the American river on the hot days. Also hoping after all these years to get my first photographs of a rattlesnake! In all my years of hiking, hunting and fishing I have never found one.

Cheers,

E.T.