[meteorite-list] Sutters Mill - Proper Care Guide

From: Jim Wooddell <nf114ec_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:35:35 -0700

Hi Mike and all!

The real truth is all of them are already contaminated.

Teflon bags are IMO the best for transport and any kind of handling. A
glass desiccator a really good idea for storage! You can be creative with
jars and make some cool long term displays if you have a place where you can
find cool jars that can be sealed.

Don'ts are: Membrane Box / in anything bleached...like white paper,
napkins, etc.,

Most of us have seen crumbling in aluminum foil. These things are friable!
I say again, these things are friable. If it is never to be looked at or
moved, then aluminum foil, I think is ok....but REALLY BAD idea if you are
going to open and close it to show and tell. It's too tough a material to
have next to these things in that environment. Also, in regards to how
these are being handled in the field with aluminum foil, the foil is being
contaminated which then transfers to the specimen. IMHO, NOT a good idea in
the real world.

When using foil in a lab, the sample is normally just placed on a sheet of
foil and moved from test station to station in a tray. It may be carefully
folded over the sample to create a bag, and it's NEVER used in the way it
was used in the field at Sutter Mill. I really did cringe many times over
this.

Note, some people were wearing the proper gloves, however they did not
understand the use of the gloves. I watched one couple with gloves, wipe
their face, touch their ungloved other hand, pet their dog, touch their
pants with the gloves on! Might as well not had the gloves on! Not only
that, the gloves they had were place in their pockets prior to putting them
on! Their intent was in the right place, the procedure was not...because
they just did not know!

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Wooddell