[meteorite-list] meteorites, state of our world etc...

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 08:57:43 -0600

HI Chris,

One problem that I can think of would be... what if you had 50 investors who
financed the expedition and only 1 small stone was found? Many people would
not want that stone to be cut up (besides cutting a window in it for
classification purposes), so all of those people would come away with
nothing even though a stone was found. So this would have to be agreed upon
before any money is invested. I guess there could be some cutting scraps
from the "windowing" that could be split up, but splitting that 50 ways
would be almost impossible because it would be dust, not even sand-sized
particles.

If two or more stones were found, then keep the largest (or most aesthetic)
intact and cut up the other one into as many pieces as there are investors,
plus the meteorite hunter(s). So everyone gets a piece and the largest/best
is kept in its natural state for all to see (museum or whatever). Again, it
would have to be decided from the very start what to do with the
largest/best stone. Does the met hunter get it or does it get donated to
the hunters' museum of choice? Then individual investors can keep theirs or
donate to museums of their choice.

But I do like your idea. It would help the met hunters do their "job"
because they wouldn't have to come up with the capital ASAP when a met event
occurs like they do now, and it would allow some of us to get in on the
action without doing the hunting ourselves. I won't be able to do this
anytime soon (I have a baby due on June 1, although she might be arriving a
little sooner because my wife was ready to pop a couple weeks ago), but I do
like the idea.

Regards,

Bob L