[meteorite-list] meteorites, state of our world etc...

From: chris handler <cmhandler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:59:26 +0930

To be honest, I would consider doing this with an experienced hunter
such as yourself. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to buying shares in a
startup company.
This may be a simple way of looking at it, but it could work something
like this; A new fall occurs somewhere and it's going to cost roughly
$10,000 to hunt (Just an example, I have no idea of the actual costs
involved). As you are the one putting your time, personal risk and
expertise into the hunt, the $10,000 represents only 50% of the total
resources used.
So, if I invested the whole $10,000 and you recovered 10KG of
material, it would be split 5KG each way. Now $10,000 might be to much
for any one person to want to risk on the venture or come up with up
front, so you could offer smaller shares at a more affordable price.
The $10,000/50% stake could be offered in 50X 1% shares. Each investor
would only receive 100 grams of the 10KG in this scenario, but they
would have only risked $200 (plus postage and handling, if the hunt is
successful) and you've still received 50% of the meteorites without
any of the capital expenditure. I'm positive there's aspects I haven't
considered, so please critique it.