[meteorite-list] New BLM regs: Tempest in a teacup?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:36:03 -0400

Hi Greg and List,

I enjoyed your post, but there is a small nugget of an idea in there
that might be worth thinking about.

It's obvious that very few (if any) people in the BLM know the first
thing about meteorites, meteorite hunting, or the meteorite market.
They are making and implementing rules without any input from the
meteorite community, to our collective detriment. Wouldn't it be nice
(relatively speaking) if someone from the meteorite community
"infiltrated" the BLM and provided an inside voice of reason during
meteorite discussions? If there was someone, like Greg, who is an
experienced meteorite authority, who could confirm finds and advocate
on the behalf of the meteorite community, then maybe we could mitigate
the foolishness of the BLM. I know it sounds unrealistic, but how
hard would it be for someone in the meteorite world to secure a job
within the BLM?

If we do nothing, or sit outside and gripe, the BLM is going to
continue doing what it does best - regulate and ensure that major
mining and energy corporations have preferential access to lands,
while meteorite hunters are treated like pillagers and thieves.
Strip-mining, fracking, and poisoning the land is OK, picking up
meteorites is not. Apparently, the problem with meteorite hunting is
- we don't have billionaire-funded lobbyists in expensive suits flying
around to BLM field office in private jets to advocate for our rights
over 5-martini power lunches. The next best thing, would be someone
like Greg working inside the agency to temper the regulatory fever.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com