[meteorite-list] New BLM regs: Tempest in a teacup?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 10:54:58 -0700 (PDT)

The problem is we already have self-proclaimed spokespeople working our behalf.? You will find them showing off the latest Mohave finds in front of the media or selling them on eBay claiming they are worth an outrageous fortune for full effect. The BLM claims that increased publicity has made them aware of the need to protect this exceedingly valuable treasure from space at all costs.? This has hastened the end of a fine and wholesome avocation.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those responsible for the soon-to-come complete closure of public land and the government for doing a fine job of protecting meteorites.

For the record, I have never sold any meteorite I have found on public land.? I guess the 10.1 pounder will have to be left in the field or buried so somebody else doesn't accidentally find it and be tempted to break the law.

Joyful Hunting,

Adam